Dr. Elhai conducts research on traumatic event exposure and PTSD. Specific interests include:
- Understanding PTSD's symptom structure
- Exploring PTSD's high comorbidity with other mental disorders
- Assessment and measurement of traumatic event exposure and PTSD
- Mechanisms underlying the development of trauma-related pathology
Some recent papers from Dr. Elhai on PTSD include the following.
* Papers marked with an asterisk included a student advisee co-author at the time of submission.
*Claycomb Erwin, M., Mitchell, M. A., Contractor, A. A., Dranger, P., Charak, R., & Elhai, J. D. (2018). The relationship between distress tolerance regulation, counterfactual rumination, and PTSD symptom clusters. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 82, 133-140.
Contractor, A. A., Greene, T., Dolan, M, & Elhai, J. D. (2018). Relations between PTSD and depression symptom clusters: Effect of PTSD severity. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 59, 17-26.
*Durham, T. A., Byllesby, B. M., Lv, X., Elhai, J. D., & Wang, L. (2018). Anger as an underlying dimension of posttraumatic stress disorder. Psychiatry Research, 267, 535-540.